A leather jacket is a great way to make a statement at so many different occasions. Whether it’s casual drinks, an office meeting or a more formal event, leather jackets allow you to look stylish on any occasion. However, creases in leather jackets don’t have the same effect, so we’ve looked at how to prevent and remove those stubborn wrinkles.
Creases are likely to appear in leather jackets after long periods of not being worn or when stored incorrectly. Below we’ve outlined some helpful and safe tips to get creases out of leather jackets.
Step-by-Step Guide to Removing Creases
There are a number of methods you can follow at home to remove creases from your leather jacket, there really is no need to pay for professional services if you follow these steps and care for your jacket carefully.
Method 1 - Steaming Leather Jackets
We know it’s not common to have a steamer lying around at home, but you can use a shower as a great alternative when steaming leather jackets.
- Hang your jacket on a sturdy hanger, preferably one that supports the shoulders of your jacket and hang it in your bathroom, close to the shower but not so that it’ll get wet.
- Turn on the hot water for your shower so that steam fills your bathroom. The steam should take around 10-15 minutes to work on your jacket - you can also use the shower during this time so don’t waste the water.
- After the shower, allow the jacket to hang on the hanger but aim to wear it the same day. This allows the jacket to hang in the shape you attend it to be worn and prevent creases from forming again.
Method 2 - Pressing/Ironing Leather Jackets
Don’t worry, you don’t need an actual presser to carry this out. An iron that has the ability to control the temperature, a piece of cotton (a pillowcase works great), and an ironing board is all that you need.
- Lay a section of the leather jacket on the ironing board and cover it with a piece of cotton/pillowcase, this will ensure the leather is protected from the heat.
- Turn the iron on but down to the lowest heat setting available.
- Carefully iron/press the leather in small sections at a time. Keep moving the cotton to ensure the jacket is protected. This process is time-consuming but avoid turning the heat up as it could damage the leather.
Method 3 - Use Alcohol
Leather can be stretched to remove creases and using an alcohol solution is great for this as it will loosen the leather.
- Mix one part alcohol to one part water in a spray bottle.
- Hang the leather jacket on a hanger and gently spray with the solution from a distance.
- Use your hands to smooth out the creases.
- Alcohol can be drying on leather so we would also advise using a leather conditioner afterwards to restore the condition of your jacket, particularly if you use this method regularly.
Note: Before spraying the alcohol solution all over your jacket, spray a small section and wipe away using a soft white cloth. If no colour is removed you’re fine to carry on, if it does we recommend trying a different method.
Things to Avoid
When it comes to most clothing items it is easy to simply run an iron over them or send them to the dry cleaners, but it really is important to be careful with your leather jacket to keep it in the best condition.
Avoid these points below when getting creases out of your leather jacket.
- Never iron your leather jacket on full heat, or apply the iron directly to the leather.
- Never use water when ironing a leather jacket.
How to Prevent Creases in Leather Jackets
It’s always wise to avoid getting creases in your leather jackets where possible and in many cases is actually easier than removing them.
Whilst some creases are unavoidable, whether it’s from sitting in your jacket or the fold of your arm, it is possible to avoid unnecessary creases. Follow these tips to keep your jacket looking in the best condition possible.
Tip 1: Hang your jacket carefully on a hanger in a cool, dry place when not in use. This allows the jacket to hang naturally and will also mean minor creases fall out.
Tip 2: Use a sturdy, wood or wire hanger. Using a sturdy hanger that supports the shoulders is very important as then the jacket will hang as it is intended to be worn. Cheap/thin plastic hangers can form more creases if used for a long period of time.
Tip 3: Don’t put the jacket into storage. We know it’s very tempting to put your jacket away into storage during the months you won’t be wearing it, however, this will only cause stubborn creases. Folding your jacket to put into a bag or box will form deep creases that are difficult to remove.
As well as removing creases from your leather jacket you may also want to know how to safely clean your leather jacket. Read our guide on how to clean leather jackets, or shop our leather jackets for sale online.